Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

LSC Wednesdays #7: Asking Blessings and Returning Thanks

This is a short series of Wednesday postings taking us through Luther's Small Catechism.

LSC WEDNESDAY #6:
HOW THE HEAD OF THE FAMILY SHOULD TEACH HIS HOUSEHOLD TO BLESS THEMSELVES IN THE MORNING AND IN THE EVENING

MORNING PRAYER
In the morning, when you rise, you shall bless yourself with the holy cross and say,

In the name of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.
I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger. And I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and all evil, so that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, so that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.
EVENING PRAYER
In the evening, when you go to bed, you shall bless yourself with the holy cross and say:
In the name of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.
I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day. And I pray, forgive me all my sins, where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, so that the wicked foe may have no power over me. Amen.
HOW THE HEAD OF THE FAMILY SHOULD TEACH HIS HOUSEHOLD TO ASK A BLESSING AND RETURN THANKS

‹ASKING A BLESSING›
The children and servants shall go to the table with folded hands, reverently, and say:
The eyes of all look to You, and You give them their food in due season. You open Your hand; You satisfy the desire of every living thing. [Psalm 145:15–16]
Then say the Lord’s Prayer and the following prayer:
Lord God, Heavenly Father, bless us and these Your gifts, which we receive from Your bountiful goodness, through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
RETURNING THANKS
Likewise after the meal they shall reverently and with folded hands say:
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever.
He gives to the beasts their food, and to the young ravens that cry. His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor His pleasure in the legs of a man, but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His steadfast love. [Psalm 136:1; 147:9–11]
We thank You, Lord God, Father, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, for all Your benefits, who lives and reigns forever and ever. Amen.
Concordia : The Lutheran Confessions. Edited by Paul Timothy McCain. St. Louis, MO : Concordia Publishing House, 2005, S. 344

Jesu Juva,
Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment