Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

St. Nicholas was a.......Pirate!?!?

So I hear my daughter Signe from around the corner of the livingroom saying to her sister Brynja "No! St. Nicholas was a PIRATE!" What in the world?

So I had to pause for a few minutes to figure out where Signe got "pirate" from. Several days before I had started talking to my girls about Santa vs. St. Nicholas. I decided to do that because of the adds on TV and the inevitable individual who is going to ask them what they want Santa to bring them for Christmas.

Now, we didn't grow up believing in Santa Claus. In fact, I got in trouble in first grade, at Church of all places, for telling my friend that Santa wasn't real. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, I just wanted him to know that we have Christmas because of Jesus and not Santa. My brothers and I were also ridiculed by our cousins one Christmas because we said the same thing. "Oh yeah, well who brings us all those presents? Jesus?" I believe my brother Cedric responded "Your parents, DUH!"

So I had started to explain things to my daughters, that Santa isn't real, but St. Nicholas was real. I had explained that St. Nicholas was a pastor, like Pastor Matt. Then it hit me. Pastor Matt. Pirate. Signe had combined "Pastor Matt" to get "Pirate". Wow. So I intervene to stop the fighting and correct the information. So now when I ask the girls if Santa is real they say "No." I ask them who pretends to be Santa and they say "Grandpa." I ask who was real and they say "St. Nicholas." I ask them what was St. Nicholas and they say "A pastor, like Pastor Matt." He defended the faith against herecy, helped people and preach the Word. St. Nicholas was all these things, however, he was not a pirate. Today is December 6th. Happy St. Nicholas Day.

Jesu Juva,
Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment