Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My daughter's words: This father's happiness.

Several weeks ago I drove three hours in my 97' F-150 with one of my 2 year old twin daughters to my brother's house to help him get materials and to build a reloading bench. As is my habit on a trip of that length I'll have music playing from an MP3 player. It was either the Newsboys or All Star United that was playing. Over the top of one of the songs I heard "Daddy. Daddy. Daddy. Hey Daaady!" So I promply turn down the music to hear what she has to say to me from her car seat next to me in the truck.

When my wife and I brought our daughters to baptism, one of the things we agreed to before our pastor, family and close friends, was to see to the Christian instruction of our children. We took this very seriously. We are teachers by trade. Currently we are in children's ministries and in it I get to bring Law and Gospel to children (most of whom are from a non-Lutheran background) that they might have faith that comes by hearing of the word of God (Romans 10:17). At home we teach our children in a similiar fashion using Law and Gospel.

So I turned down the music that was playing to hear my daghter. She says "Daddy" one more time. I say "Yes sweety." She looks at me with her two year old smile and says "Daddy, Jesus saved me." I stared smiling at my daughter for minute, fighting back tears and emotion, and then quickly swerve the truck back into my lane on the highway. Eyes forward on my driving I reached over with my right hand, holding her hand in mine and said "Yes He did sweety. Yes He did."

Children, regarless of age, can have faith. That faith, after all, is given by Christ. Let us not forget John, while still in Elizabeth's womb, lept for joy upon hearing the greeting from Mary that she was carrying the Christ, our Savior. (Luke 1:39-45)

"Daddy, Jesus saved me." 
"Yes He did sweety. Yes He did."
Thank you Jesus.

Jesu Juva,
Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment